Button Topiary

waiting for a home

button topiary

A button topiary doesn’t seem much like jewelry, does it? Of course I have an explanation (as always). I’ve been cleaning up my workspace, and shedding the things I haven’t any plans for, and I came across some styrofoam balls. then I remembered I wanted to make a floral topiary. I blame it on Pinterest. Continue reading

Pin It

Welcome Spring!

button brooch

Can you feel it? Spring is almost here. My neighbor’s Bradford pear tree is absolutely stunning.In my yard, the signs are not so obvious; the daffodils bloomed during the first three days of warm weather, only to be pelted with sleet and snow, time and again. You’d think they’d learn, but I have to admit they did look cool blooming against that icy backdrop.So to welcome this brief respite of sunshiny weather, I whipped up a few button brooches. Continue reading

Pin It

B is for Button

Is it 2014 already? Last year was so hectic it flew by in the blink of an eye. I thought I’d write a little about business resolutions, but that would be too boring. Blah blah blah… I’d rather share with you my latest project, and it’s not jewelry! 

On Christmas Eve, we celebrate at my brother and sister-in-law’s home with her family. My brother can come up with the coolest gifts for me, even if it’s not what I’m looking for. He’s been pretty actively shopping on Goodwill, so I should have guessed that’s where my present was coming from.

8.3 lbs. of wine corks!

8.3 lbs. of wine corks!

Yep, a huge box of wine corks! I am still thrilled with them. I mean, it’s not every Christmas someone gives you a big ole box of recyclable trash, is it? I’m going to have fun with those. And then there was this:

Sewing basket full of buttons and notions

Sewing basket full of buttons and notions

A sewing basket full of buttons. I never turn down a button. Later, as I was cleaning out the basket and organizing the buttons by color, I found this:

and 1 gold tooth!

and 1 gold tooth!

Well, if I had a gold tooth fall out, I’d put it in my sewing basket. I wonder if the previous owner ever figured out what she did with it.

But back to my latest project. One of my sister-in-law’s daughter is having a baby this month. He will be their first, and I know they are over the moon! As I was digging through the buttons on Christmas Eve, she and her growing belly came by to look at my loot, and I thought “B is for Baby. B is for Button.”  B is for a baby gift!

I’ve seen so many beautiful button monograms on Pinterest but was never really interested in making one. Now I was.

inspiration

inspiration

I saw this little pretty on That Cute Little Cake, and thought I could do that. Then I saw this on Etsy:

8x10 Buttons Button Art Button Monogram Button & Swarovski Art Button Art Wedding Gift Baby Gift Uniques Gift 8"x10"

Stunning, isn’t it? You can visit her shop here: www.etsy.com/shop/bellepapiers. I could never conceive of doing anything this beautiful, and besides, it’s going to be for a boy’s nursery. So this is what I did and how I did it.

Supplies needed, but I didn't use all of them.

Supplies needed, but I didn’t use all of them.

I decided to do mine on an 11×14″ pre-stretched canvas. I knew I wanted to stitch the buttons on, as little hands might try to pull some pretties off to taste. Using a canvas, I would b able to stitch through it, but I did have to paint a background. I made a template in Printmaster, as I have no drawing skills.

Make a template, or just wing it!

Make a template, or just wing it!

After I painted the background, I figured out where I wanted my image to be, put a carbon under it, taped it down, and drew over the outline. A lot. It takes a fair amount of pressure and I had to keep checking it to make sure it transferred.

Paint the letters in.

Paint the letters in.

I tried painting the letters in with a paint pen, but I had bought medium points, so I ended up free hand painting them with acrylic paint. One day, I’m going to own a Cricut, and this won’t be a problem.  But for now, paint, and wait for the paint to dry.

Filling in with buttons.

Filling in with buttons.

I didn’t glue the buttons down; I just started fitting them in and stitching.

Filling in with buttons.

Filling in with buttons.

And stitching.

Close up.

Close up.

And stitching. I had started out filling the little crannies with beads as I went along, then I decided to save them till the end. That made it go a whole lot faster!

Almost done.

Almost done.

Filling in with seed beads took a while but it wasn’t too bad. I started out using size 6 beads, then I realized I had some 8′s I could use for the teeny blank areas. After 4 hours of stitching, I was satisfied with the fill in.

Finished! That's a leftover bead on the left!

Finished! That’s a leftover bead on the left!

That was last night. I thought it might be too “girly”, but this morning I picked it up again. Nope, still finished. I like it a lot better in the daylight:

A nicer photo in the daylight!

A nicer photo in the daylight!

I hope the soon-to-be parents like it as much as I do. As soon as I find a frame for it, I’m sending it to them; I just hope it gets there before the baby does!

p.s. They loved it!

p.s. They loved it!

 

 

 

 

Pin It